Welcome to HappyCoops.com, where each backyard chicken coop has been thoughtfully designed and constructed so as to provide your hens a comfortable, predator-safe environment that is also esthetically pleasing. As well, each coop's design focuses on ease of maintenance, which will in turn help to insure your backyard chicken experience is a happy one.
For going on seven years now, our coops and runs have evolved, in large part due to the collaboration of my first 6 hens who imparted much. For it's been in observing and learning from them that i feel most confident in hoping you will find a design here that will meet the needs of your urban flock.
Standard Features Of Our HappyCoops
- All coops arrive complete with locking mechanisms that are guaranteed to keep your hens safe, providing they are secured each night with the padlock, hasp or carabineer of your choice. This includes your access door, hen door, as well the nest box lid.
- All legs, ramps, window frames and trim are constructed with Con Heart Redwood milled to my specifications. This is not the redwood one finds at the likes of Home Depot or Lowes. Our redwood comes from the heart of the tree, as opposed to the outside, where one sees that familiar white shade instead of deep red. This redwood simply lasts longer. And of course, all run framing is the same redwood.
- All 1/2" plywood roof sheathing is covered with lifetime warranted Suntuf Polycarbonate panels which are affixed with galvanized rubber grommeted specialty screws.
- All plywood is 1/2" 5-ply exterior grade.
- All coop frame material is either 2"x 3" or 2"x 4" doug fir with exception of the 4 inside corners of the Coop de View and Coop de Grande - as they are a continuation of the legs all the way through to the rafters - of which are Redwood.
- All windows are fashioned from 1/8" Plexiglas.
- Both the Coop de View and Coop de Grande come standard with a slide-out plywood floor for ease of cleaning and maintenance. Beneath this floor and stapled to the top of the joist is galvanized 1/2" hardware cloth for those hot summer nights, should you desire.
- All runs are overlaid with 1/2" galvanized hardware cloth, as well hardware skirts should you feel the need. Chicken wire is simply an hors d'oeuvre or an aperitif to the raccoon or similar predator. Please see the Extras page.
- I do not paint the coops, but then to cover the beautiful redwood and other wood grain with a top of the line stain I do offer for an additional charge. You can find more information about this superior product made just north of us at Penofin.com. But then should you desire to cover your coop in a array of colors that please you, please take a look at our Custom Coops page where customers endeavored to do such, and with amazing results.
So I hope you enjoy browsing the newly updated HappyCooops.com. I hope you will find the perfect backyard chicken coop to house your flock. And do drop me an email or give me a call at 510 657-6727 should you have any questions I can answer.
And I thank you. ~ Dru